Essential Steps for Fall Bed Bug Defense
October 23, 2018
Pumpkin spice, changing leaves, and bed bugs, all signs that fall is here! You might be thinking, hold up! Since when are bed bugs a sign of fall? Unfortunately, bed bug infestations sometimes increase in the Davenport area as fall arrives.
There are several reasons for fall bed bugs. Bed bugs take a couple of months to fully go through a life cycle. If you were traveling this summer, it’s possible that you brought bed bugs home without knowing it. Even one savvy hitch-hiking bed bug carried home in a suitcase can become an issue. At first, you might not notice. But, as the bed bug lays eggs and they hatch, and those bed bugs become adults and lay eggs, and those eggs hatch, and the cycle continues. Soon you will have a significant infestation. By fall, the bed bug or two that you brought home in your suitcase has multiplied and now you have a real issue on your hands. Also, school begins in the fall. This is a prime opportunity for college students to transport bed bugs to and from dorm rooms, and for young school-age children to share bed bugs through books, jackets, and backpacks.
It’s not too late to employ some strategies this fall to reduce your chances of a bed bug infestation.
- If you went on summer vacation, it’s likely too late to check your bags, but in the future, examine all of your bags before you bring them back into your home. Take the clothes out and wash them in hot water. Wipe out bags and store them in the garage vs bringing them in the house right away.
- When your teens are returning from their dorms, follow the same precautions as above, including washing all their dirty laundry in hot water.
- For your younger children, hang their backpacks on hooks in a mudroom or garage rather than tossing them on the carpet, bed, or upholstery.
- Check over any school books or library books for signs of bed bugs. These bugs like the glue in the binding and hide in the pages.
- Vacuum frequently for a better chance at catching a stray bed bug or two that might have been accidentally brought home.
If you think you’ve already gotten a bed bug infestation because you have awakened with the tell-tale trail of red bite marks or small blood or feces stains on your sheets or mattress, it’s time to call the professionals. At Quik-Kill Pest Eliminators, we are your experts in the Quad cities for bed bug removal. We use a variety of bed bug inspection and elimination methods from conventional treatments to K9 bed bug detecting dogs and heat treatments. We will return every two weeks until we are sure your bed bug problem is fully eliminated. Don’t hesitate to contact us at the first sign of a bed bug problem.