Spring Cleaning Tips To Help You Keep Your Bettendorf Home Pest-Free
March 17, 2020
Spring can be one of the most beautiful times of the year as we move from cold, grey nights to sunshine-filled days. However, as the weather warms up, you aren’t the only one becoming more active. During the spring, there will be more activity from pests in the Bettendorf area. Learn how to protect your home from these pests so that you can truly enjoy the season.
Most Common Spring Pests
Many insects and animals become active during the spring. They appear in large numbers and begin to mate, nest, and multiply. Although there are many more, here are five common spring pests you’ll find in Bettendorf.
- Carpenter ants. Many species of ants appear around the spring, but carpenter ants can be especially problematic. They chew tunnels through wood and can damage the integrity of your home. Plus, these ants can chew on wires, causing electrical fires.
- Cockroach. Cockroaches can be active all year, but they may appear in larger numbers once spring hits. They carry bacteria and disease through your home and can make symptoms of asthma and allergies worse.
- Fleas. Fleas can bother both humans and animals. They feed off blood and carry many diseases, such as typhus and tularemia. Their bites are itchy and uncomfortable, and they can be very difficult to get rid of.
- Spiders. Spiders can also be a problem year-round if they’re living in your home. Though most spiders are harmless, species like the black widow and brown recluse are venomous, and their bites require medical attention.
- Stinging insects. Many kinds of stinging insects overwinter. Once spring comes around, they become quite active. They may be looking for a place to build their new hive, so you’ll want to make sure they don’t choose the eaves of your home.
Cleaning For Pest Prevention
In order to prevent pests like these from getting into your home, the first step is to take some serious time to clean. Spring cleaning is an important ritual for many, and it can help make your house ready to withstand spring and summer pest activity. Here’s a checklist to help you with your preventative deep clean.
- Clean under appliances, like your oven, refrigerator, and microwave.
- Clean hard-to-reach places like the back of the counter and the inside of cabinets.
- Organize your pantry and check for pantry pests.
- Clean the back of your closets and make sure stored items are organized.
- Check the exterior of your home for holes or cracks and seal them well.
- Check screens for tears and replace them as necessary.
- Cut the grass in your yard.
- Clean your yard of debris such as old wood, cardboard boxes, and fallen branches.
- Check for standing water. Dump out buckets and clean any water features on your property.
- Take care when landscaping; keep gardens away from your home and trim branches away from the house.
Quik-Kill Pest Eliminators
If you aren’t feeling confident about your prevention cleaning, or just want a more reliable solution, call Quik-Kill Pest Eliminators. We can come by before pests start their activity and inspect your home for possible entry points, attracting factors, or potential problems.
Then we’ll get your house ready to withstand the spring, whether this means applying insecticides, making environmental changes, or practicing exclusion methods. We know how important it is to keep your home free of pests this spring, and we’re happy to help you protect your home.