5 Mistakes Homeowners Make to Attract Roaches in Fall
October 26, 2018
Roaches can be very common in the fall as they scurry about looking for food and shelter.
Homeowners in Davenport often make mistakes that attract cockroaches without realizing it. Because cockroaches carry and transmit disease, it’s important to take steps to make sure you are not attracting roaches to your home this fall and know when to call a professional for help in eliminating an infestation.
Common Mistakes that Attract Cockroaches
- Leaving food out in the open, including pet food (and dirty dishes). Roaches are looking for food all the time. Don’t make their job easy by leaving food on your counters, letting family members leave food in bedrooms, leaving your pets' food out for an extended period, or letting dirty dishes pile up in the sink.
- Having too much trash around, including compost piles and open trash bins. Trash and compost are great food sources for roaches. Covering trash cans with tight-fitting lids, taking household trash out frequently, and keeping outdoor trash, recycling bins and compost bins away from the house can help.
- Ignoring other pests. If you have other pests in your home, you may attract cockroaches. Many pests are co-dependent on each other for food, so signs of one can mean others are present. Also, if one pest can get in so can others. Often rodents will chew holes that allow other pests to gain access.
- Not pest-proofing your house. Cracks in your foundation, spaces under doors or around windows, tears in screens, openings around utility wires and pipes, open chimneys and other areas can create access points for roaches.
- Trying DIY methods of removal. Roaches are excellent at scurrying and hiding. Trying to treat them on your own can make your problem worse as they invade other parts of your home. You may also inadvertently harm yourself and family members with harmful chemicals.
When to Call a Professional
The simple answer for when to call a professional for roach control is, now! Quik-Kill Pest Eliminators can help you with a year-round treatment plan that will help keep roaches out of your Davenport home. If you already have, or suspect, a roach infestation, our experienced technicians will work quickly to eliminate the problem to keep you and your family roach free.