Signs Your Rock Island Home Has A Serious Cockroach Infestation
October 10, 2021
Cockroaches may be easy to spot with oval-shaped, flat bodies, spiny legs, and long antennae, but seeing roaches isn’t always the first sign of an infestation. In fact, you’re more likely to find other traces of their presence before you see live roaches. Here’s what Rock Island homeowners should understand about spotting the visible signs of a cockroach infestation, what kind of dangers these pests bring, and what to do if you’ve already got a cockroach problem.
Six Signs Of Cockroaches In Rock Island, IL
There are many signs of a cockroach infestation, but you’re most likely to spot these six common signs:
- Smear Marks: As they move around your home, cockroaches leave dark smear marks behind, which can end up on your walls, baseboards, or other areas of high activity.
- Roach Droppings: With roaches come to their droppings, which you may find scattered around your home, resembling coffee grounds or specks of pepper.
- Discarded Skin: As they reach adulthood, cockroaches may shed their skin up to eight times. It’s not unusual to find pieces of discarded skin lying around your house if you have a roach problem.
- Unusual Odor: While you may not notice it with smaller infestations, cockroaches emit a strong, unpleasant odor that comes from the pheromones in their droppings. The musty smell may linger in your home.
- Egg Capsules: Cockroaches lay eggs in dark-colored egg cases called oothecae, which can hold up to thirty eggs each. As the infestation grows and new roaches hatch, you may find discarded egg capsules around your home.
- Chew Marks: Cockroaches need a food source, and while they may prefer leftovers or food scraps, they’ll also eat hair, books, and even decaying matter. The longer they’re in your home, the more likely you are to discover chew marks on food packaging, furniture, or books.
If you are seeing signs of cockroaches around your Rock Island home it is important to take quick action.
Are Cockroaches Dangerous In Rock Island, IL?
Not only are they unpleasant to look at, but cockroaches come with serious health concerns. Roaches are one of the most unsanitary pests that can invade your home. They can spread harmful bacteria and pathogens – like salmonella, streptococcus, and staphylococcus.
The saliva and discarded skin can also trigger allergens in a lot of people or worsen asthma symptoms, especially in younger children.
However, health concerns aside, getting rid of cockroaches isn’t easy either. Not only do they reproduce rapidly, but roaches are excellent hiders. Even if you manage to trap some of the infestations, the survivors will likely relocate and begin regrowing their numbers.
What To Do If You’re Spotting Signs Of Cockroaches In Rock Island, IL
When you spot the signs of cockroaches, your first instinct might be to save money and handle it on your own. However, DIY methods for cockroach infestations are rarely effective and often waste time, giving the roaches more opportunities to reproduce. The best way to handle cockroaches is with professional help, and if you live in Rock Island, that means contacting Quik-Kill Pest Eliminators.
With world-class pest control technicians and a trustworthy reputation that dates back to 1929, we’ll make sure we leave your home completely pest-free. If you’re noticing some of the signs of cockroaches above, don’t wait – call us at Quik-Kill Pest Eliminators to find out more about our expert cockroach control services.