While there are a variety of pests you might find around your Moline property, ants are some of the most common. Whether you see them outside in your yard, on your sidewalk, or indoors in places like kitchens, most homeowners will encounter these small pests at one point or another.
An ant infestation can be a frustrating problem because it can grow out of hand and take over a home or business. While some ant species are mostly considered a nuisance, there are others that can cause property damage or spread diseases. One common ant species in the area that can be both invasive and dangerous is the pharaoh ant.
While they might be tiny, they can be a cause for concern. Because there are many ant species around Moline, we’ve put together a guide to help you identify pharaoh ants.
- They are only about 1/16th of an inch long.
- They are a light yellow color and have red or black at the bottom of their abdomens.
- They have six legs that are quite thin.
- They have a pair of antennae with 12 segments.
What Are The Risks Associated With Pharoah Ants?
All ant species can be frustrating because they have the ability to get into food and contaminate it. They can also contaminate any food-preparation surfaces that they touch. Pharaoh ants are known to spread serious and even deadly illnesses such as salmonellosis and dysentery. This means it’s vital to clean surfaces they touch and throw away ant-infested food.
Pharaoh ants are also a problem because they are one of the most difficult ant species to control. They are extremely invasive and can establish multiple colonies in any structure they invade. This means their numbers can quickly get out of hand and spread all throughout your home or business.
How Can You Prevent Pharaoh Ants?
Because of the concerns associated with this species, knowing how to keep them out of your property and any buildings you own is vital. The following tips are simple ways to prevent pharaoh ants, as well as other ant species, from getting into your home or business.
- Cleaning up food and drink spills right after they happen.
- Storing food in airtight containers when possible.
- Regularly take out the trash.
- Storing pet food in airtight containers.
- Vacuuming and sweeping often.
- Cleaning your kitchen regularly.
- Ensuring that doors and windows fit tightly into their frames.
- Installing door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Removing access points to the structure by repairing broken screens in doors and windows.
- Filling up holes in walls with caulk.
- Looking at the foundation of a building and filling up any cracks or crevices there.
How To Get The Best In Ant Protection
It’s very likely you’ll have an ant problem if you’re a property owner in Moline, so, whether you’re dealing with pharaoh ants or another species, the experts at Quik-Kill Pest Eliminators are here to help. Don’t waste time and money trying and failing to get rid of ant infestations on your own. Instead, let our professionals handle the problem as we can both prevent and remove ant infestations, even large and invasive ones. Call us today to request your free inspection.